Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Quilt Class 101 - Friendship Star Block Tutorial

First of all thanks to Bec for sharing her readers with us today!  We love her creativity and we're excited to be a part of her great Quilt Class 101!!

Let me tell you a little about us.  We are sisters, Heather and Megan, together we design quilt patterns and run our blog!  In our patterns, found HERE, we like to use traditional piecing with modern fabrics and twists!  We've also got a thing for applique :)  We are constantly designing new patterns...we both admit that more nights than not it's how we fall asleep.  Such is the life of fabric lovers, right??
Our blog is Quilt Story.  About three times a week we feature YOU!  That's right, we feature other blogger's finished quilts and the stories behind them.  See HERE to learn more about being featured.  We featured Bec's Sand Castle Quilt a while back :)  Also every Tuesday we have a linky party called Fabric Tuesday, it is tons of fun where you can link your own fabric projects and see what other's are up to.  Not to mention that Megan and I share our own projects on the site too!!!
We've got a block tutorial to share with you today, Friendship Star:


Cutting requirements
see image below
Solid background: two 4.25" x 4.25" squares for HST and four 3.5" x 3.5"
Contrasting pinwheel: two 4.25" x 4.25" squares for HST
Center: one 3.5" x 3.5"

HST (half-square triangle)

Draw a line from corner to corner on both solid background pieces.

Sew 1/4 inch on each side of the pencil line, then cut down the pencil line.

Square the HST's to 3.5"

Piece together in rows first, always using 1/4" seams

Then sew rows together!
Voila!  One 9.5" x 9.5" finished block

Thanks for letting us share with you today!!  Make sure to stop by and see us at Quilt Story.   We've got more block tutorials and quilt tutorials to share!
Photobucket


Thanks so much Girls... I'm envying your fabric choices! I LOVE LOVE LOVE those bikes... and great Dots!!
 
On a side note, Have any of you been following Madame Samm's Extravaganza over at Sew WE Quilt??  She is running a massive Wantobe Quilter Campaign and this Wednesday...(USA time not Aussie Time) I'm being featured! Pop over HERE and check it out... Make sure you enter the giveaways... she has a HUGE list of Amazing Giveaways!! xx

34 comments:

  1. Bec, thanks for sharing your tut at SEW WE QUILT. You make those mitered corners look simple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great friendship star - will have to do that one - but just read your tutorial over at sew we quilt - nice work - glad to see another aussie featured over there - I'm going to try your way of finishing off - looks easier than the way I do them now !

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and by the way, just finished Kate's slash and stack quilt on the weekend - from the tutorial featured on your blog - turned out really nice and was soooo easy - thanks for that !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your tutorials here and at sew we quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the wonderful tutorial at Sew We Quilt. I am now a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bec for the Binding Tutorial over at Madame Samms. I am a Wannabe Quilter, those Mitered corners look so easy!!

    Huggs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the pattern. Love the bicycle in the middle..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for making it simple, will def.give this a go !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the binding tutorial! You make it look sew easy. As a Wantobe, getting past the "it's overwhelming" to "I think I can", is important and you have helped me think that maybe I can!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use your binding tutorial all the time. Sometimes when it has been awhile I just have to refresh my memory. Saw your tutorial over at the Wannabe Quilting campaign. Your guests used very cute fabric for their friendship star tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bec, thanks for the great tutorial on binding over at Sew We Quilt.
    Love the Friendship Star tutorial from Heather & Megan. Love, love, love the fussy cut bicycle and great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the tutorial on Sew We Quilt! Your work is beautiful, and I am excited to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your tutorial on Sew We Quilt! It was awesome! I so understand binding now. I had a hard time understanding how to bind a quilt correctly. Your instructions were so clear. Thank you again. I am a new follower of your blog.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bec, I am one of your newest followers, thanks to Madame Samm. I think I can do a binding now, thanks to your tute. You make it look easy. I think I will be hanging around here every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab binding instructions. I'll be using them in the future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed your binding tutorial over at Madame Samm's. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bec, thanks for sharing your tut at SEW WE QUILT. Sewing that binding on looks simple when you do it...wonder if it will be that easy when I try?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoyed your tutorial over at Madame Samm's - I'm a new follower, and looking forward to the wonderful new things you're going to show us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loving your blog! Following from Madame Samm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for your tutorial at Madame Samm's!!! I'm following your blog via email.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Came over from Sew We Quilt. LOVED your tutorial there! Thank you so much! And I love this block here. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Bec ~ You make that binding look so easy. I hope I'll be able to use your tutorial...someday. I'm here from Madamm Samms' Giveaway! Your blog is darling and the post, right before this one, took my breath away! Those sweet little hands, oh my! Love children, I do! Thank You, for sharing her Sweetness and for the tutorial!
    Hugs from MN. USA ~ Jo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you!!! I have a really hard time with binding and I LOVE the way you described it and think I can do it!! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much for your great tutorials - both this one and the one on Madame Samm's. Your Tutorials are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A very instructive tute on Madame Samm;s website. I enjoyed the friendshio star as well. Am a follower

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for showing the easiest way I have seen to bind a quilt - especially ending the binding. Can't wait to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the color palette! Very cute-thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi there! I found you through Sew We Quilt and LOVE both of your tutorials! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Bec for sharing your tutorial on Sew We Quilt - it will be very helpful for us "Want to be" Quilters. I enjoyed cruising through your blog and found a connection to my hometown at the OCD:Obsessive Crafting Disorder. Now that I'm diagnosed I feel much better!

    Thanks again - I look forward to future posts as I'm a follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I learned a lot from your binding tutorial. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are great. I think I'll give them a go with the Heather Ross fabric I won right here on your blog Bec :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi just found your friend ship star block with relief seen others that have helped it's the best clear how-to's photo's of the star wow love it, thanx erased ya while back thiking it was only fabrics am just happy i am back with you oh lovely quilting by renee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!! xx I LOVE hearing from you xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...