Friday, July 9, 2010

What sort of a Quilter are you???

Are you:-

(a) You see a pattern, buy it and follow it down to the 1/4". If you happen to find it in a kit that is available to buy...well even better?
(b) You design your quilts in your head and draw them out exactly in your trusty graph book then perfectly calculate the exact amount of fabric you need. You go and buy just the right fabric and use every last piece???
(c) You see a new fabric range, fall in love, and design a quilt to suit the fabric perfectly?
(d) Or are you D's??? You see a pattern you like (Kaffe Fasset - Country Garden Quilts Book) You buy way too much fabric...It costs you way too much... you get home and cut it all up, (following the pattern of course).... You lay them all out on your timber floor only to find...




it looks HORRIBLE in the fabrics you've chosen! You realise you now have 205 little tiny 2 1/2" wide diamonds and you have no idea what you are going to do with them.... not to mention pattern pieces j, k, l, m that also have about 100 pieces each and you have those cut too???


    

I call this type of Quilter..... Quilter D - Designer by Default!!!!




This is ME!!! I have finished many many quilts, which began from a beautiful pattern, only to find i didn't like it once i had cut it ALL up and laid it all out in the fabric that I had chosen....Come to think of it,...Maybe that's what my blog should be called...Quilt Designer By Default? Anyway,  so my new quilt is born!






So, After much encouragement from my beautiful friend Kate   (Kate Conklin designs...my BFF and partner in crime!!), a magazine and the fat quarter shop, I have decided to write up some of my quilts and sell my patterns. I now have my first pattern complete...Yay!! and it is available for download (see my shop section of my blog) and i have many more to come.

I thought i would also show you a sneak peak of the project I'm working on...and Kate and I are going to have a giveaway with it soon.




P.S If you are Quilter D.... then there are always plenty of family and friends you can give your quilt to..... My mother-in-law LOVED this one! And besides...i think sometimes they can be your best creations!!
xx

24 comments:

  1. That quilt is spectacular! I'm so glad you made it into your own. I'm a combination of b and c I think, but sometimes I can turn into a d.
    By the way, those castle blocks are absolutely gorgeous!! I can't wait to see it all put together, and I'm so glad you're writing up the pattern. I want one... bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...I think a lot of us are "D"! Sometimes I am an A, then I can wander through B & C, but D often pops up!
    Love the castle blocks...looking forward to seeing more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm a bit of B, C & D but I always buy to much fabric!!! That isn't always a bad thing though because when my husband puts me on a quilting budget I still have plenty of fabric to play with!
    I really think your quilt looked awesome and it was a little piece of you and those are always the best quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful!! I tend to be a D as well. I love the quilt and can see why your mother in law loves it too!! Wonderful fabric and color selection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Becky... well I think I am C.. love this quilt though honey.. love your blog.. cant wait to catch up soon.. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Becky! Found your blog through Kate's blog, and I just love your quilts! About your question, I think you forgot one more kind of quilter - the one who sees a great pattern and thinks, "I bet I've got something in my stash I can make this with - so I can start RIGHT NOW!" I think you could call this the Instant Gratification quilter - too impatient to wait on a trip to the store or to order the fabric! I've got so much fabric stashed away that I can almost always find something to make up a new design in. And yes, I do tend to alter the design as I go. Your re-design of the Kaffe Fassett is absolutely fabulous - took my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you decided to take on a blog Becky. As a shop owner, it's great to see new designs - as they happen - always looking for new patterns!
    Love what you did with the Kaffe! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been each of these quilters one time or another! Love the castles made from FFA2. Very, very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Becky! I absolutely love what you've done with Heather Ross's Far Far Away II there - it's just so beautiful!

    I'd definitely say that I'm a combination of both b and c, haha! I have never used a pattern (nor tried to) so I'm definitely not a or d.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think I'm a mix between b and d - i've never followed a pattern before and i always design my own, but i never buy just the right amount of fabrics for specific projects, i see something i love and i buy way too much of it!!!

    i love how your kaffe fausset quilt has turned out, it's beautiful! and i really really love what you've done with the FFA2 line, so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This quilt is absolutely stunning! I am SEW glad I found you through Kate's blog. Looking forward to lots of good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The castles are pretty amazing! What's great is that this can be done with any other type of fabric... Castle Peeps by Lizzie House comes to mind, so I can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  13. E. None of the above. I buy fabric I like and look at patterns I like and kind of wing it. Its worked for me so far! Almost all of my fabrics blend really well together so I cant go too wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess I'm an E, or if Heather is an E, then maybe I am an F. Sometimes I start with the pattern and, I try to fit stash fabric into it but if I don't have enough to replicate it, I just go with the flow. I just omitted sashing from an entire project because I didn't have any!

    Found your blog thru Kate's. Looking forward to your posts! I really love the quilt you made on your Flickr account called CIMG7583.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am blown away by your blog. Thanks for creating it and I am your biggest fan. If you want company on a quilting night I would love to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'm a combo of all of them but D always ends up having to help out because I mess things up quite often!
    so glad to find your blog! loving that Castle quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely love your quilt!
    I think I'm going with F - I go with the flow, try to use the stash, buy fabric I love just because and mainly use patterns as a guide and add or omit as I go along.
    I think it is going to be fun following you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Your quilt is stunning. I came across your blog through Kates. I have only been visiting her site for a short time. Both of you are very talented. Nice to see young women so passionate about sewing. Keep up the good work.Leone

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you documented the failures and then then the giant success! And my daughter would love those castle blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness! I can't get over the BEAUTIFUL quilt you came up with "by default". I love it so much more than the original design. I love your tern, designer by default. I also call myself the accidental quilter because so many of my best "design ideas" come when I've made a mistake, run out of a certain fabric, etc. Sometimes limitations stretch my creativity more than when I have endless options. Oh, and then there's that wonderful FFA2 quilt! Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. seeing that huge quilt was pretty overwhelming in its beginning stages....i admire your passion and patience bec in creating that intricate quilt! it's beautiful and the colours and paterns are so vibrant and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love you quilts. The star is stunning and the castles are too much fun. I hope you write patterns for them both!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the castle quilt! I was shopping at Hawthorne Threads and saw a pic of the castles and I would seriously love LOVE that for my little girl. It looks very intricate--but it would be worth it, to have an end result like this. I'll be watching your blog and enjoying your other creations...can't wait for patterns!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!! xx I LOVE hearing from you xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...