Friday, September 3, 2010

Spoonflower Rocks!

For those of you who don't know what Spoonflower is exactly... and up until a little while ago, I was one of those people.... Let me tell you!!

About Spoonflower
"Spoonflower makes it possible for individuals to design, print and sell their own fabric designs. It was founded in May 2008 by two Internet geeks who had crafty wives but who knew nothing about textiles. The company came about because Stephen’s wife, Kim, persuaded him that being able to print her own fabric for curtains was a really cool idea. She wasn’t alone. The Spoonflower community now numbers around 70,000 individuals who use their own fabric to make curtains, quilts, clothes, bags, furniture, dolls, pillows, framed artwork, costumes, banners and much, much more." (From their Spoonflower site!!)

Now, I wasn't sure how it all worked exactly... so what better way to find out for myself??? Give it a try!!


I decided I would just upload my Paisley design and logo... and see how it would turn out. For $5 ea... they print you a 8" x 8" fabric square and a little test swatch. Mine arrived in the mail today.


This Custom Paisley Design I use for my Business cards, Pattern Packaging, AND If your one to take notice... It is also the background of my BLOG!!...Ahhh you say!


I also uploaded the Jpeg image from my business card. This is my Logo, designed and thought up by my lovely hubby! Poor thing, He is the Brains behind all my pattern diagrams.... His profession is Designing homes and does it all on the computer. He originally said..."sure honey, Ill help you draw up some diagrams!!" (little did he know, we would spend a couple hrs a week,....drawing quilts to scale on his CAD Architectural Design program. He recons 'HE' could even sew a quilt following his diagrams....HA!!

Anyway, He designed my logo, and gave me the idea to go with paisley.....mmmm where would we be without em! This Logo and Paisley didn't turn out so great on fabric. From just uploading it straight from the Business card file, the paisley doesn't match up properly. This doesn't worry me though.... I'm going to cut it up into squares... and use these as labels for my Quilts. This will work for now, until I figure out a better way to label my Quilts.


The Grey Pink Paisley turned out Perfect though. The Pink Paisley on White is a bit wishy washy...and i prob wont use this.... But I'm definitely going to put my order through for a couple yards of the Grey Pink Paisley and the Logo fabric.


Now all Ive got to figure out is... What on earth I'm going to use it for??!! But hey, Do we ever know? I'm actually thinking I might make a Sewing Machine Cover with my Grey/Pink Paisley?...


I was excited to see how it all turned out. There are definitely areas I can fix it up a bit.... but I thought, not bad for first go. You HAVE to go and check out Spoonflower so many Amazing Talented Independent fabric designers.... You can also Purchase their fabrics from the Spoonflower shop. Its Amazing!! Another avenue to explore. But for me, I think ill stick to designing quilts for now....xxxx

P.S Oh....I'm also on the hunt for a good camera.... My pictures turn out so lousy on my little old digital....so if you could share your wealth with me of camera and blog picture knowledge...that would be great!! Thanks xxx

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this great info Rebecca! I will have to go check them out. Don't think I will be creating fabric designs, but something to drool over at least:P I need to get some quilting labels though as you mentioned:)

    As far as cameras, we have a Canon and LOVE it. Maybe you just need a different lens. What kind of camera is it? I would check into that some more before you buy a whole new camera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh check out Retro Mommy blog she uses a Panasonic Lumix G2 Digital Camera and those piccies look good to me. Enjoy camera hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.retromummy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the background on spoonflower. I didn't know that. Your paisley fabric looks great. And what a good idea for quilt labels. I might just have to try this.

    Good luck camera hunting. I love my Nikon D40. Basic, but the lense is great. That's the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bec,

    I use a Panasonic Lumix FZ38 and I love it! It's a compact SLR and takes great pics. You should check out retromummy as Corrie is hosting a competition to win a Panasonic G2, this is a couple of models up from mine and was unfortunately out of my price range. It's a really excellent camera, Corries blog photo's always look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment!! xx I LOVE hearing from you xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...